Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Play Dough Funny Faces w/ DIY Outlet Covers

When I saw a variation of this craft years ago, I stored it away in the back of my mind, just waiting for L to be old enough to make and play with these! The outlet covers I saw were made using Sharpie Markers, but I love the color we brought to ours with paint! The outlet-cover funny faces are as much fun to make as they are to play with! L and I spent one day painting the outlet covers, let them dry overnight, then the next day, we were able to glue on the googlie eyes and stick them in our play dough! So silly and so much fun!


Materials Needed: 
-outlet covers
-paint (acrylic and/or puffy paint)
-googlie eyes
-jewels (optional)
-hot glue gun and glue
-your favorite play dough
-egg cartons (optional)


The first thing I did, preparing our work station, was to cut off the center tips of an egg carton. I then put an outlet cover in each opening so L could paint them with ease.



Then, paint away! I tried to paint mouths and noses on the outlet covers, while I let L paint hers however she pleased. I figured the ones she painted could be used to glue on the eyes and jewels later on. 




After the glue dries, you can go over some with puffy paint too! I thought it was a fun effect for big, puffy lips!


Using a hot glue gun, attach some googlie eyes and jewels to a few of the other outlet covers.



Now it's time to play! Just push the outlet covers into your favorite play dough...the funny face possibilities are endless! 






I love how the play dough doesn't stick to the outlet covers, rather it just falls off, making clean-up a breeze! Please share pictures of your funny faces...we'd love to see them! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment